OER – open opportunities for learning
Open Educational Resources, OER, are resources that are available on the internet that may be freely used and in many cases adapted freely. Today there is a strong global development in OER.
In Sweden there is a growing interest in open publication and the sharing of educational resources but the pace of development is still slow. There are many questions to be dealt with in this area; for universities, academic management and teaching staff. Teachers in all educational sectors require support and guidance to be able to use OER pedagogically and with quality in focus. To realize the full potential of OER for students’ learning it is not enough to make patchwork use of OER – resources have to be put into context. Valuable teacher time should be used for contextual work and not simply for the creation of content.
The aim of this project is to stimulate an open discussion about collaboration in infrastructural questions regarding open online knowledge sharing. A network of ten universities lead by Karlstad University will arrange a series of open webinars during the project period focusing on the use and production of open educational resources. A virtual platform for Swedish OER initiatives and resources will also be developed. The project intends to focus in particular on how OER affects teacher trainers and decision makers.
The objectives of the project are:
- To increase the level of national collaboration between universities and educational organisations in the use and production of OER
- To find effective online methods to support teachers and students, in terms of quality, technology and retrievability of OER
- To raise awareness for the potential of webinars as a tool for open online learning
- To increase the level of collaboration between universities’ support functions and foster national resource sharing, with a base in modern library and educational technology units.
- To contribute to the creation of a national university structure for tagging, distribution and storage of OER
Our webinars will focus on the following areas:
- Digital literacy in higher education as a prerequisite for OER
- Bonus Presskopia (Swedish reproduction rights organisation)
- What are OER and how to work with them?
- Collaboration between UR(Swedish Educational Broadcasting Company) and universities
- Quality in e-learning
- The digital library
- International trends in OER
- Metadata and standards
Participants and partners:
The project is run by a partnership of universities through ITHU (Swedish network for IT in higher education) and the teacher network Dela! The project coordinator is Karlstad University. The project is financed by .SE (Internet Infrastructure Foundation).
The webinars are arranged with the help of the Swedish national university service for e-meetings offered by SUNET.